Thursday 12 April 2012

I-fucking-don't

So tomorrow I’m going to be away for three days in order to spend time with my family for my sister’s wedding.

God damn that pisses me off.

Fair enough a wedding is an important event, but three days of MY fucking life important? I think not. I’ve been to plenty of weddings before and the ceremony only takes a couple of hours. Throw in a reception later in the day and you’re looking at a whole day’s commitment really. That’d be acceptable.

But no, this wedding has to be THREE DAYS. Do I really need to attend some shitty rehearsal the day before? I know how to sit the fuck down and watch, it’s not difficult! But apparently my family wants me there, apparently my sister's wedding is supposed to matter to me, so away I go for the sake of someone I know little about and see maybe twice a year. And of course she wants to meet “close family” the day afterwards in order to go out for a meal later on in celebration. Celebration my arse, do you think I’m going to be having fun in a room filled with the multiple families of her groom that I barely know? Hardly, it’s going to be tedium itself.

Why do people do this? Why do they feel the need to snatch away so much of other people’s precious little time? It couldn’t just been one day in which case I could bite the bullet, drive up, not drink too much, and the drive back at the end of the night. It could have saved me TWO DAYS. Two days which I am now doomed to waste, all for the sake of a two-three hour event on each one.

The alternative would be to simply not go, but that wouldn’t work out well for me either. I don’t want dozens of people calling me up angrily and ostracising me because of their self-righteous beliefs that I OWE them something. In plenty of ways that’s worse than putting on a fake smile, pretending I give a shit, taking a coat hanger and aborting three days of my existence.

So, what? I get to spend all of two days in a shitty hotel which doesn’t even have internet because I’m not going to splash out on one of the nicer ones which cost inordinate amounts of money? I get forced into an uncomfortable situation with family members that I deliberately avoid because we don’t get on?

Thanks, bitch, enjoy your fucking wedding, because I sure as hell won’t.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! REALLY? I MEAN... Only 3 days?
    I think it should be longer, so you can have enough time to spend with your family. Look how much they care for you since they invite you for given only 3 days, but 3 days for you.
    And don't complain about the lack of internet, this is not about the internet but about the sister and her wedding. This is an important moment in her life, you should appreciate that she wanted you to be a part of it and treat her with much love so she will be confident on this new way of life!

    enjoy the party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do embody your avatar's namesake, don'tcha? :p

    Ya, those extended weddings kinda suck... Double for the lack of internet.

    Hmm... Maybe it's a US thing, but don't couples usually go on a honeymoon after the wedding? Another reception the next day seems... Odd.

    -RTG593

    PS, kinda hope your sis doesn't see this blog, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misery indeed.

      Well they weren't originally planning a honeymoon but her new husband surprised her with a trip to Paris. He was the only one who knew about it.

      Not til next week though.

      Delete
  3. So um, what's preventing you from going for only one or two days?

    ReplyDelete